For as long as I can remember, packing lunch every day for work has been a part of my routine. It’s one of those habits that at times has saved my sanity and also helped me reach goals.
The thing is, I eat a lot. Every few hours I try to eat a meal or a snack, especially if I worked out or plan to later. My hunger has gotten so out of hand that it has caused arguments and tension with loved ones. That’s why packing lunch is also necessary for work where tensions could already be high.
This post kind of goes hand in hand with meal prepping, but lunch is one of the meals that is crucial to pack for anyone. Here’s why it’s beneficial to pack lunch every day of the workweek.
You will save money
This is a no-brainer, but for kicks, think about how much you spend on lunch each day by going out. Let’s say it’s $8.00. Multiply that by 5 and you’re spending $40.00 for the week. It may not seem like that much, but that’s $160.00 for the month and $1,920.00 for the year…
Although it may not seem like an earth shattering amount, that’s almost $2,000.00 you could be saving each year on lunch alone! Packing your lunch may take a little more time, but it will save you money in the long run especially if it’s simply leftovers from last night’s dinner.
You will eat more nutritious ingredients
By packing your own lunch, you’ll be able to add in more of the ingredients you love and know to be better for you. If you have a thing for that restaurant made chicken teriyaki over noodles or rice, you can 100% create a cleaner and better version that won’t leave you feeling bloated from way too much sodium.
A better system for portion control
I know not everyone counts calories or eats according to a diet. However, packing your lunch allows you to control your portions so you’re not eating 2,000 calories in one meal.
You’ll be able to see what works for you. This could mean adding more to your lunch bag or opting for more veggie options instead of the bag of chips. You’ll be in complete control, which is also incredibly beneficial for your body.
You will know what you’re eating
Have you ever ordered a meal without mayonnaise or mustard to get it with it still on it? Well when you pack your lunch, you know what to expect with your meal so you won’t be disappointed.
Another huge plus is you’ll never have to think about where you want to go when you’re stomach is growling. Lunch is ready to go.
Things to keep in mind when packing a lunch
- Others may think you’re crazy for never wanting to grab lunch. It’s okay, haters are gonna hate my friend. You can always go along for the ride.
- You might hate what you packed at times and rather eat anything else but your salad – it’s fine to go out every once in awhile. Just try to opt for healthier options on that fast food menu.
- Meal prepping in advance can be a huge time saver. Start off slow with what you create. The more you do it, the easier it will be to prepare and will save you tons of time in the morning, as well as during lunch.
- If you’re using reusable containers, your sink or dishwasher will start to pile up fast. At least they’re getting great use!
- You will need a lunch bag to transport your meal. Even if this is one of those bags from the TJMAXX checkout line. This helps you remember to pack your lunch in the morning and grab your containers on the way home.
That being said, here are some really cute lunch bags that would be perfect for that lunch you’ll be packing next workday.
- Anthropologie Lunch Poche Bag: $44.00
- L.L. Bean Lunch Bag: $29.95
- Vera Bradley Lunch Bunch: $29.00
- fitmark The Box: $59.99
- Sable Large Lunch Box: $19.99
Packing lunch is extremely beneficial for your health and your sanity. By packing your lunch for 5 days of the week you will be saving money, eating healthier foods, eating better portion sizes, and won’t have any unwanted surprises on your plate. When you pack lunch based on your likes and goals, you will have control over what is fueling your body.
Now that you know all the benefits, the only thing left for you to do is start prepping those meals and get into a better habit for the new year. You’re about to have this lunch routine down to start crushing more goals from saving money to getting on track with your health.
What are some of your favorite things to pack for lunch? Let me know below!